What we treat
The thyroid gland is located in the neck and produces hormones that are related to metabolic processes in the body. The thyroid gland can become over or under active.
A form of hyperthyroidism is Graves disease where the body produces antibodies against the thyroid stimulating over production of thyroid hormones.
|Difficulty sleeping||Heat intolerance||Neck swelling|
Management usually involves referral to an Endocrinologist and medication, radio-iodine treatment or thyroid removal surgery.
Hypothyroidism is when the thyroid gland is underactive. This can be caused by Hashimoto’s disease where the body produces antibodies which attack the thyroid gland causing it to produce less thyroid hormones.
Other causes include diet, previous treatment to thyroid for thyroid cancer or an overactive thyroid.
Symptoms of Hypothyroidism
|Tiredness||Weight gain||Cold intolerance|
|Constipation||Irregular periods||Dry skin|
|Numbness in hands||Brittle hair and nails||Depression|
|Muscle aches||Fatigue||Loss of libido|
Testing for thyroid problems is done via a blood test for TSH,T4,T3 and thyroid autoantibodies.
Management options for hypothyroidism
|Things you can do at home||Conventional approach||Our approach at LHC|
– Thyroid support supplements
– Healthy diet (nutritionist advice can be helpful) and exercise
|– Thyroid hormone replacement with levothyroxine||
– We fully assess thyroid function with relation to symptoms and blood tests being in the optimal range
- We treat hypothyroidism using various thyroid preparations to achieve optimum hormone levels and symptom control
– We also assess wider lifestyle factor such as diet which could be contributing